Format: B – MotorFunk Ambassadors For Life
Ruling dancefloors for more than a decade under their conjunctional moniker Format: B and amazing crowds with their trademark MotorFunk-style Franziskus Sell & Jakob Hildenbrand have come a long way musicwise, even before they started to awe punters and DJs alike with their first releases put on the circuit via labels like Highgrade Recordings, Stil Vor Talent or Opossum Recordings.
Both originally coming from a non-electronic background with Jakob starting out playing bass guitar both in Hardcore as well as Jazz and Funk bands whilst Franziskus mastering classical piano lessons soon they were infested by the seductive virus named electronic music in the early and mid 90s. This newly found fascination for a completely different musical environment led the Berlin-based Jacob into his first production efforts with an Atari ST40 + synthesizer set-up whilst Franziskus stepped into the DJ-booth of several clubs of his former East German hometown of Erfurt.
Backed by a history like this their paths finally crossed at Berlin’s school of audio engineering (SAE), where both of them studied to become sound engineers. Soon their shared love of all things electronic music related was unveiled and after immersing themselves in the cities praised, flourishing nightlife as well as some shared studio time things started to fall into place for them, resulting in a project now known as Format: B which has become one of Germany’s most successful electronic acts of the past few years due to a steady string of releases, unique musical vision and an impressive level of consistency provided in the ongoing evolution and progression of their signature MotorFunk sound.
From their early works on Highgrade Recordings, Stil Vor Talent or Opossum Recordings including the massive hit „Vivian Wheeler“ via remix works for acclaimed artists like Sébastien Léger, Paul Kalkbrenner, Oliver Koletzki, DJ Madskillz to their groundbreaking 2008 album debut „Steam Circuit“ once again featuring a massive dancefloor smash named „Edding 500“ the Format: B trademark was all over the place and the pair of producers soon found themselves touring the globe, playing Australia, Asia, the US and South America and – of course – Europe where the Berlin-based Watergate Club turned out to be a firm homebase for Format: B throughout the years.
Inspired by their skyrocketing success 2009 saw the next logical step in the history of Format: B when the duo teamed up with label manager Hawks Grunert to install their own imprint Formatik Records which has been the exclusive home to all Format: B releases ever since, for their critically acclaimed, forward-thinking sophomore album „Restless“ followed by a triplet of remix singles as well as a string of successful EP’s like 2015’s „Chunky“ which became a major success on every electronic dancefloor even before the tune was signed and re-released by Ministry Of Sound UK in 2016, entering both UK sales charts as well as Ibiza and Shazam rankings on top positions. With „The Scoop“ and „In My House“, both signed to the dance major Toolroom, their love story with the UK scene carried forward in 2017, further establishing a fruitful connection resulting in heavy club rotation and high chart rankings in one of the worlds biggest markets for electronic dance music.
Taking on the challenge of running a label has not only greatly helped to shape and define the Format: B identity and brand on a global scale but also enabled them to prove A&R abilities beyond production skills with a series of signings from their ever expanding international network, providing top level releases from both highly acclaimed artists as well as aspiring new talent alike.
Ever expanding and further establishing their brand Format: B launched their sister label FMK+ in 2017 to build a platform for musical outings beyond the MotorFunk focus of their mothership before establishing the new branch FormatikSounds, a label focusing on selected sample pack releases, in early 2018 with their very own „TechHouse Signature Cuts“ pack. In addition to these new musical outings Format: B also rebranded their agency Formatik Booking as Vivid Artists, now taking care of artists from the labels roster bookingwise as well as handling selected others.
This impressive and visionary in-house strategy combined with a strong visual identity and Format: B’s impellent MotorFunk-sound usually being on the more technoid side of TechHouse and sporting heavy basslines alongside a supersolid foundation of bassdrums has turned Formatik Records into one of the scenes leading electronic imprints of this time, spearheaded by one of the most successful electronic duos of today that has still a lot more in store for its global fanbase like a furthermore refined sound, new artist signings on Formatik Records and of course another year of extensive touring, that’s about to take them around the world to please the large number of devoted Format: B fans in South America and Australia as well as to many other places on the globe.
- 27. April 2019Lustigwandern Tech Boat , Bonn, Germany
- 27. April 2019KULTURGUT, Wuppertal, Germany
- 30. April 2019Kunstakademie, Trier, Germany
- 1. May 2019Ritter Butzke, Berlin, Germany
- 10. May 2019Technodampfer, Linz, Austria
- 11. May 2019Technodampfer, Wien, Austria
- 11. May 2019Tanzhaus West, Frankfurt, Germany
- 18. May 2019Paluma Festival, Bochum, Germany
- 18. May 2019ROK Club, Luzern, Switzerland
- 25. May 2019Sudhouse Electro Indoor Festival, Volkenschwand, Germany
- 31. May 2019Das Viertel Club, Basel, Switzerland
- 1. June 2019Dockland Festival, Münster, Germany
- 1. June 2019Gate 54, Baden, Switzerland
- 7. June 2019Sputnik Spring Break, Halbinsel Pouch, Germany
- 9. June 2019Luft & Liebe Festival, Duisburg, Germany
- 9. June 2019Club One , Esslingen, Germany
- 9. June 2019Ikarus Festival, Memmingerberg, Germany
- 9. June 2019Hip Island, Heilbronn, Germany
- 16. June 2019Belvedere Twinkle Open Air, Neubrandenburg, Germany
- 19. June 2019Club Bahnhof Ehrenfeld, Cologne, Germany
- 21. June 2019Fete de la Musique, Strasbourg, France
- 22. June 2019D-Club Boat, Lausanne, Switzerland
- 29. June 2019Sunset Beach Festival, Haltern m See, Germany
- 29. June 2019Parktheater, Kempten, Germany
- 6. July 2019Träum Weiter Open Air, Aachen, Germany
- 13. July 2019Panama Festival, Bonn, Germany
- 13. July 2019Ritter Butzke, Berlin, Germany
- 13. July 2019Smag Sundance Festival , Essen, Germany
- 14. July 2019Feel Festival , Kiekebusch, Germany
- 19. July 2019Open Beatz Festival, Herzogenaurach, Germany
- 20. July 2019Familie In Takt Open Air @ Waldschwimmbad, Lich, Germany
- 3. August 2019Ferdinands Field , Rotenburg/Wümme, Germany
- 3. August 2019Isle of Summer, Munich, Germany
- 9. August 2019Sonne Mond Sterne Festival, Saalburg Beach, Germany
- 10. August 2019Electrisize Festival, Erkelenz, Germany
- 16. August 2019Douala, Ravensburg, Germany
- 17. August 2019Echelon Open Air Festival, Bad Aibling, Germany
- 17. August 2019Echelon Open Air Festival, Bad Aibling, Germany
- 18. August 2019Strandliebe, Bonn, Germany
- 24. August 2019Grenzenlos Festival Dreiländergarten, Weil am Rhein, Germany
- 25. August 2019Open Air by Techno Accsess #2, Sainghin en Mélantois, France
- 31. August 2019Tanzinsel, Gemünden am Main, Germany
- 31. August 2019Lucky Lake Festival, Losheim, Germany
- 7. September 2019Electric Baroque, Schloss, Ludwigsburg, Germany
- 7. September 2019Weird Boat , Hamburg, Germany
- 7. September 2019WEIRD Boat Aftershow Waagenbau, Hamburg, Germany
- 2. October 2019102, Neuss, Germany
- 11. October 2019Ritter Butzke, Berlin, Germany
- 12. October 2019Ponyhof, Darmstadt, Germany
- 12. October 2019Techno Castle, Solingen, Germany
- 25. October 2019Fabrik, Bayreuth, Germany
- 9. November 2019Schimmerlos, Regensburg, Germany
- 16. November 2019Odonien, Cologne, Germany
- 22. November 2019Die Fabrik, Bayreuth, Germany
- 23. November 2019Pratersauna, Vienna, Austria
- 23. November 2019Drifters, Freiburg, Germany
- 14. December 2019Tanzhaus West, Frankfurt, Germany