Format: B – MotorFunk Ambassadors For Life
Ruling dancefloors for more than a decade under their conjunctional moniker Format: B and amazing crowds with their trademark MotorFunk-style Franziskus Sell & Jakob Hildenbrand have come a long way musicwise, even before they started to awe punters and DJs alike with their first releases put on the circuit via labels like Highgrade Recordings, Stil Vor Talent or Opossum Recordings.
Both originally coming from a non-electronic background with Jakob starting out playing bass guitar both in Hardcore as well as Jazz and Funk bands whilst Franziskus mastering classical piano lessons soon they were infested by the seductive virus named electronic music in the early and mid 90s. This newly found fascination for a completely different musical environment led the Berlin-based Jacob into his first production efforts with an Atari ST40 + synthesizer set-up whilst Franziskus stepped into the DJ-booth of several clubs of his former East German hometown of Erfurt.
Backed by a history like this their paths finally crossed at Berlin’s school of audio engineering (SAE), where both of them studied to become sound engineers. Soon their shared love of all things electronic music related was unveiled and after immersing themselves in the cities praised, flourishing nightlife as well as some shared studio time things started to fall into place for them, resulting in a project now known as Format: B which has become one of Germany’s most successful electronic acts of the past few years due to a steady string of releases, unique musical vision and an impressive level of consistency provided in the ongoing evolution and progression of their signature MotorFunk sound.
From their early works on Highgrade Recordings, Stil Vor Talent or Opossum Recordings including the massive hit „Vivian Wheeler“ via remix works for acclaimed artists like Sébastien Léger, Paul Kalkbrenner, Oliver Koletzki, DJ Madskillz to their groundbreaking 2008 album debut „Steam Circuit“ once again featuring a massive dancefloor smash named „Edding 500“ the Format: B trademark was all over the place and the pair of producers soon found themselves touring the globe, playing Australia, Asia, the US and South America and – of course – Europe where the Berlin-based Watergate Club turned out to be a firm homebase for Format: B throughout the years.
Inspired by their skyrocketing success 2009 saw the next logical step in the history of Format: B when the duo teamed up with label manager Hawks Grunert to install their own imprint Formatik Records which has been the exclusive home to all Format: B releases ever since, for their critically acclaimed, forward-thinking sophomore album „Restless“ followed by a triplet of remix singles as well as a string of successful EP’s like 2015’s „Chunky“ which became a major success on every electronic dancefloor even before the tune was signed and re-released by Ministry Of Sound UK in 2016, entering both UK sales charts as well as Ibiza and Shazam rankings on top positions. With „The Scoop“ and „In My House“, both signed to the dance major Toolroom, their love story with the UK scene carried forward in 2017, further establishing a fruitful connection resulting in heavy club rotation and high chart rankings in one of the worlds biggest markets for electronic dance music.
Taking on the challenge of running a label has not only greatly helped to shape and define the Format: B identity and brand on a global scale but also enabled them to prove A&R abilities beyond production skills with a series of signings from their ever expanding international network, providing top level releases from both highly acclaimed artists as well as aspiring new talent alike.
Ever expanding and further establishing their brand Format: B launched their sister label FMK+ in 2017 to build a platform for musical outings beyond the MotorFunk focus of their mothership before establishing the new branch FormatikSounds, a label focusing on selected sample pack releases, in early 2018 with their very own „TechHouse Signature Cuts“ pack. In addition to these new musical outings Format: B also rebranded their agency Formatik Booking as Vivid Artists, now taking care of artists from the labels roster bookingwise as well as handling selected others.
This impressive and visionary in-house strategy combined with a strong visual identity and Format: B’s impellent MotorFunk-sound usually being on the more technoid side of TechHouse and sporting heavy basslines alongside a supersolid foundation of bassdrums has turned Formatik Records into one of the scenes leading electronic imprints of this time, spearheaded by one of the most successful electronic duos of today that has still a lot more in store for its global fanbase like a furthermore refined sound, new artist signings on Formatik Records and of course another year of extensive touring, that’s about to take them around the world to please the large number of devoted Format: B fans in South America and Australia as well as to many other places on the globe.
- 21. December 2018ARM, Kassel, Germany
- 22. December 2018Kantine 26, Schwäbisch Hall, Germany
- 22. December 2018Übel & Gefährlich, Hamburg, Germany
- 29. December 2018Birgit&Bier, Berlin, Germany
- 31. December 2018Härterei, Zurich, Switzerland
- 31. December 2018Ritter Butzke, Berlin, Germany
- 11. January 2019D-Club, Lousanne, Switzerland
- 26. January 2019X-Club, Herford, Germany
- 2. February 2019Rote Sonne, München, Germany
- 8. February 2019Roxy, Prague, Czech Republic
- 16. February 2019Junkyard , Dortmund, Israel
- 1. March 2019Ratskeller, Recklinghausen, Germany
- 2. March 2019Dreamland, Bremen, Germany
- 2. March 2019Ritter Butzke, Berlin, Germany
- 9. March 2019Maschinenhaus, Würzburg, Germany
- 15. March 2019Übel & Gefährlich, Hamburg, Germany
- 16. March 2019Zughafen, Erfurt, Germany
- 23. March 2019Kugl, St.Gallen, Switzerland
- 23. March 2019Flux, Landshut, Germany
- 12. April 2019Odonien, Cologne, Germany
- 13. April 2019Decadence Schloss Erbach, Ulm, Germany
- 19. April 2019Odonien, Cologne, Germany
- 19. April 2019Douala, Ravensburg, Germany
- 26. April 2019Fabrik, Bayreuth, Germany
- 30. April 2019Neue Kantine, Augsburg, Germany
- 1. May 2019Ritter Butzke, Berlin, Germany
- 11. May 2019Tanzhaus West, Frankfurt, Germany
- 18. May 2019Paluma Festival, Bochum, Germany
- 1. June 2019Dockland Festival, Münster, Germany
- 7. June 2019Sputnik Spring Break, Halbinsel Pouch, Germany
- 8. June 2019Luft & Liebe Festival, Duisburg, Germany
- 9. June 2019Ikarus Festival, Memmingen, Germany
- 29. June 2019Sunset Beach Festival, Haltern m See, Germany
- 6. July 2019Träum Weiter Open Air, Aachen, Germany
- 12. July 2019Panama Festival, Bonn, Germany
- 13. July 2019Smag Sundance Festival , Essen, Germany
- 13. July 2019Ritter Butzke, Berlin, Germany
- 3. August 2019Isle of Summer, Munich, Germany
- 3. August 2019Ferdinands Field , Rotenburg/Wümme, Germany
- 10. August 2019Sonne Mond Sterne Festival, Saalburg Beach, Germany
- 10. August 2019Sonne Mond Sterne Festival, Saalburg Beach, Germany
- 17. August 2019Echelon Open Air Festival, Bad Aibling, Germany
- 31. August 2019Tanzinsel, Gemünden am Main, Germany
- 31. August 2019Lucky Lake Festival, Losheim, Germany